Saturday, March 2, 2013

Out again today.....

I got out again today for a couple of hours in the afternoon aiming for a few
scorpion fish.

I got to my mark at dead low tide and was amazed to see the difference 2 days
can make to a mark the swell that was there previous had all but disappeared leaving
the sea almost flat calm and looked perfect for wrasse on the lrf gear

I rigged up initially with a small 1.5g jighead and berkley fish fry in natural . I love the action of this lure
in the water it has a great tail which really vibrates with the slightest of twitches

I fished for around an hour before I managed to find my first Long Spined scorpion


A nice little fish with a coloration almost identical to the rock it was lying on before it took the lure

I fished on with this and continued to look for another fish but with no luck so I changed lure and head
to a pink isome section with a rockfish jighead.

It wasnt long until I picked up another beautifully red coloured fish




I continued fishing and spotted a small corkwing wrasse
sitting in a gap in the rocks. I must have spent a
good half hour chopping and changing lures to see if I could entice the fish
but no matter what I done it had absolutely no interest in any lure I had.

So on I moved and managed to pick up another nice Scorpion from another hole


This was the only fish of the day that had the red markings and beginnings of a yellow underside
like the fish I had in my previous post. It also got really defensive with the skin retracting on its two
main spines exposing the sharp tips which I wouldn't like to get a mouthful of if I was a predator.

I had one other scorpion fish today which was my biggest one of the session




 A really nicely coloured fish with a nice mottled wine/brown colour.
The variety in the colours of these fish and there sheer tenacity/attitude are what make them
my favourite of all the mini species we have around our coastline.

On another note I also picked up some new lures recently with one of them being the new 15cm
Real Eels from Savage Gear and I have to say I'm very impressed with them.



I'll have more to say on them during the coming months once I've had a chance to fish with
them properly but my initial reaction is they certainly look the part and are very nicely detailed
with nice build quality. One thing I will say against them is the smell of cheap rubber from them
I would prefer a scented version maybe anise or squid but that's just me and I know its not about
the smell and alot more about the action which from what I've seen looks superb.The packaging is
a bit bulky and went straight into the bin as soon as I got them. A simple ziplock type bag would
make much more sense.

Anyway thats my two cents for now , I hope you enjoyed the read

Tight lines,

Jay

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jay. That pink Isome / Daiwa Rockfish head combo is one of my all-time favourites! Looks like a worm on the bottom and equally like a small fry on the retrieve. Double bubble

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam , Those Rockfish jigheads are by far my favourite for LRF. Really welll made and not too pricey. I'm surprised that more of the shops dont stock them in Ireland and the UK. They do a weedless version aswell which is also great if you havent seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete