Monday, November 5, 2012

The times they are a changing.....

I decide to take another trip up my mate David last Saturday since things
had clearly started to slow down this way I wanted to see what the fishing
was like up with him after my last trip up a few weeks ago the weather had
changed alot and the cold has really set in coupled with a big drop in air
pressure of late fishing conditions have been less than perfect

I arrived up in the morning and we decided to try the local pier for a bit
David picked up a poorcod but apart from that the water was very coloured
and the fishing was poor

We went back to his place then and David decided he was going to try for conger and
I would continue fishing lrf.

We headed back out a few hours later and I began to fish a dropshotted red gulp sandworm
and was almost straight away into a little rock goby


I continued fishing this way picking up a few little poorcod but not much else

David met up with his mate and headed off a little bit up from me to try for Conger but I'll let you read about
that on his blog ...  East Coast Fishing

I continued fishing dropshot trying various lures but the fishing had gone really quiet which I put down to a big seal which was patrolling the water about 10 yards out from me.

As soon as the seal went I stuck on a gulp sandworm again on a dropshot rig but this time in the natural colour and managed a lovely long spined sea scorpion



I continued along the edge and got the unmistakeable tap of a wrasse which I missed reeled in and bang another much more solid hit and fish on ...


a lovely goldsinney wrasse a welcome surprise on a very cold and slow day. I recast a few yards up and got another few small taps from some tiny fish which turned out to be poorcod


I kept fishing and the poorcod kept coming they were fast becoming a staple at this mark but all were around
the size of the one above

Another nice goldsinney showed it face a few minutes later


which was followed in another few casts by a nice rock goby




A few casts later and I got another really solid thump which I knew was a wrasse but failed to connnect
so I left the lure and gave a few twitches and smack fish on!!

I knew straight away this was a much better fish than any of the previous fish of the day
and after a few good runs and dives much too my surprise up popped this lovely ballan wrasse
of just over 1lb weight



A very nice surprise and very unexpected.

I finished the days fishing with some more poorcod and another little rock goby


and that was that time to head home.

What I noticed from the days fishing that much the same as home the fishing has slowed considerably in the
past few weeks and judging by the distance between myself and David with him being further north than myself I guess the winter change has began in earnest all round...

Right well thanks for reading

Tight lines

Jay


3 comments:

  1. Hi Jay, are you enjoying your new rod?;)
    I have a question for you. Long spined sea scorpion is a very strange fish...is it a species native to Ireland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex yes thank you I love my new rod its superb. The long spined scorpion fish is a very common species around our shoreline it is found in rocky areas and can grow up to 20cm in length it is also totally harmless despite its looks and is a relation to what I think you call the ''scorfano'' hope this helps

    tight lines

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harmless? I can't believe it! Italian scorfano is very dangerous and it is quite similar to this species...another visible difference is the distance between eyes, which are closer in long spined scorpion fish.
      Anyway thanks Jay, now everything is clear.

      Alex
      Light Game Blog

      Delete