Monday, October 15, 2012

A trip on the train.....

My car was in the garage and that put pay to any plans that I had for fishing
that weekend. So I rang my good friend David to arrange an LRF and plans 
were made for me to get the train up to him and we could fish a few marks up his 
way.
Thursday night was spent going through gear and making sure that I had everything
I would need for the next days session. 
I arose early on Friday and the weather couldnt have been better so I took the 
short one hour train journey with my rod and gear (much to the amusement of some fellow passengers) 
up to David who kindly met me at the train station.
We said our hello's and decided to get straight into the fishing with a short trip to a local
pier. We arrived at the mark and rigged up our gear, we both rigged standard jigheads with
isomes and gulp and I drew first blood on the day with a stunning long spined scorpion fish


Next up was David with a nice rock goby...




A short while later it was my turn for another couple of fish another rock goby and a first for me a
goldsinney wrasse a species which has eluded me for quite some time.






It went quite then for an hour or so we put this down to the fact that a small diving bird a little
auk I think had started working up and down the edges of the pier so we decided to make our
move stop for a little bit of breakfast/lunch and make up our way to another mark that David wanted 
to try out.

We arrived at our new mark and began to fish I switched over from a jig head to dropshot and it made a marked difference with a nice corkwing falling to it almost first cast 


Then a nice Ballan 


David was also fishing dropshot after having no joy with a jighead was also picking up ballans and
corwings....




It went on like this with ballans and corkwing a plenty for both of us





Then David pulled out a nice little pouting which was a first for him on a lure and he was delighted
with that


I then managed another Rock goby followed by a long spined scorpion



I then managed my first ever Tompot Blenny yet another species that had evaded capture..



Both David and myself both got hit by a couple of trains which proved unstoppable one broke Davids line and the other spat the hook a shame but I suppose its the way it goes.
I also managed a pouting of my own a first for me this year..


So by now we reckoned that we had fished enough on this mark and decided to move on to some rocks
we had both being looking at earlier on in the day.

We fished the rocks with David drawing first blood with the biggest ballan of the day...




I was next with another fine ballan wrasse..


we fished on with another good few corkwing and ballans coming to our lures



A truly epic day with the evening fast approaching we decided that yet another change was in order but this time a move to fresh water.

To try for a species that David had caught but I had not we rigged up well rigged right down really i was using a japanese tenkara hook size 26 and the smallest piece of isome I could manage but it worked and I
got my first ever freshwater minnow


By now it was almost time for my train home and what better way to end the day than a nice cold beer
and a good chat about the days fishing and what a day it was with over 70 fish between the two of
us 8 species including new ones for both of us. It was truly a memorable days fishing and one that I wont
forget for a very long time.


So great craic was had by both of us and an epic days angling and plans were made for the future watch
this space.....

You can see Davids take on the day on his blog East Coast Fishing

I hope you enjoyed the read,

Tight lines,

Jay



12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you and David had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tom it was right crack first of many more sessions

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Joao , yes the worms are from berkley and the others are from
      marukyu..the power isome

      Delete
  3. Hi men! roland is my name and i wanna ask-you:from what firm is this sea-worm silicones? Who is the producer? And model? Thanks very much! My e-mail: rolandpopcev@yahoo.com; my Messenger and Facebook id. is: rolandpopcev. Tight lines,with big fishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one lads ... some lovely looking fish ... Jay you a certainly on the way with this lureheaven comp! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice fishing Jay and the mighty Tompot!! Never caught one myself, could have done with that last year on my species comp. Keep at it

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin it was my first one .. i was thrilled when i saw it was one of them

      Delete
  6. Hi! Mr. Jay La Roche
    Nice to meet you

    What is there about the type of goby is there?
    Beer after the fishing is great!

    * I'm sorry in a sentence funny because it is translated using the translation software.

    皆さんはじめまして

    そちらのハゼは何種類くらい居るのですか?
    釣りの後のビールは最高ですね!

    *翻訳ソフトを使用して変換しているのでおかしな文章ですいません。

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jay, what nice post!
    There in Ireland you fish a lot of ballans and corkwings, don't you?
    Here in Italy we call them "tordi"..they are very combative!

    Alex
    Light Game Blog_http://lightgameblog.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      Thanks verymuch I'm glad you enjoyed the post.
      Yes the Ballan and Corkwing wrasse would very common
      around the Irish coast and yes they certainly can fight
      they are my favourite LRF fish to catch.

      Jay

      Delete