Wednesday, October 19, 2011

LRF surprise.....

Decided to go LRF today since i had been doing
a fair amount of bassing.
So i went to a local mark where i had picked up wrasse before.
I geared up and waded out to the mark the tide was
falling and there was a fairly heavy swell with a slight
NW headwind first cast, tap tap fish on but after a couple
of turns of the reel it spat the hook and was gone this happened
another couple of times during the first hour and the wind had really
picked up and was blowing hard.
I fished on and yet again a very slight tap tap on the lure then
whack drag screaming on the reel the solpara doubled over
 i thought to myself this is a nice fish i evetually
 got it up from the bottom and saw a great flash of silver
 i thought a bass was following the wrasse
for all of a split second until the all too familiar head shakes and sudden run
told me this was a nice bass.
 A slight bit of panic and joy kicked in as this was going
 to be my first lrf bass after a couple more heart stopping runs the fish tired
a little and i began to get the upper hand and gained some ground on the fish
as it got closer to me i grabbed my net and used the swell to turn it
and run into my net , I couldnt believe it a whopping 5lb 8oz on the boga
and it had taken a totally deadsticked 3''lure off the bottom the first time
i've had a bass do this





I was overjoyed to land this fish and it really was an unexpected bonus I put the fish in a pool to recover
and once it had i released it
The solpara really never ceases to amaze me it was really doubled today but took it no bother
and such light lines can take an immense amount of pressure i was using sunline rockfish 6lb with 4lb berkley
leader.
I fished on but the headwind had really picked up i had a couple of micro pollock



but no wrasse which i found strange as i would normally pick up at least one from this mark
and no more bass but to be honest i didnt really care i packed up after a while and
strolled back to the car an extremely happy angler.


tight lines

Jay

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I am finalising my plans for a trip down to wexford at the minute, will likely be in the next week or so! You still up for meeting up or any last minute advice? Email me.

    Tight Lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one Jay! Like I have always said, LRF is not just for small fish and god knows that when you do hook into something like this, its one hell of a battle :)

    ReplyDelete